Sunday, January 20, 2013

a little before and after for your Sunday

We're repurposing this dresser from our bedroom furniture for the nursery. Mostly, because it doesn't fit in our bedroom and has lived in what will be the nursery since we moved to Portland, but it's great storage and will be nice to have for all of Baby Bird's stuff. It was so dark though, so I, 6 months pregnant, undertook the task of painting it white. I will not be doing this for a living, EVER, but I think it turned out great :)

Before...





After!


It's so much lighter and makes the entire room feel that way. It was quite a project, but not too bad if you're not in a hurry. I took my time and just did what I could over the course of a week and a half. Listening to a Harry Potter audio book also helped (highly recommended). 

I did a light sand first, then painted 2-3 coats of a white eggshell finish interior wall paint using a Shur-Line edger, which was FABULOUS! My stepmom does a lot of refinishing and suggested it. It really works well for the flat surfaces...good coverage and very few brush marks. I finished with 2 coats of polyurethane and let that cure for 24 hours before putting it back together. It was quite a task, but I'm SO glad I did it. It totally changes the feel of the nursery.

We had a lovely babymoon on Thursday and Friday and purchased our crib on the way home. Woo! We went with Sundvik crib from Ikea in white. It adjusts heights of the mattress, of course, and also converts to a toddler bed, which is great. My friend Jane has it for her little man and loves it. 

The only piece of furniture we still need for the room is a changing table. They have a decent one at Ikea, but I'm going to see if I can find a vintage dresser first. I'm thinking I'll add some wooden trim to the top or something to which to secure a changing pad. I've been collecting great artwork prints, too, and can't wait to get them on the wall. Daddy has to put together the crib first :) 


2 comments:

  1. You are fantastically inspiring in every way! I love your writing and your crafting:) Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete