Wednesday, January 22, 2014

great morning smoothie for a non-smoothie gal



I know a lot of people LOVE smoothies these days, but I just don't crave them. I rarely want to drink my breakfast and I rarely want fruit or something fruity sweet. 

BUT, what I do love, is second breakfast. :) 

While I was pregnant last year, I could indulge a bit in second breakfast. Now, I have to be a little more mindful of what I consume. Solution: a rich, healthy, FAST smoothie. 

Great Morning Smoothie


2 handfuls of organic kale, rinsed and chopped (I buy it pre-chopped at Trader Joe's sometimes-so fast)
1/2 cup organic frozen mango chunks
1/3 cup organic frozen blueberries
2 TBSP chia seeds, ground
1 TBSP flax oil
1/2 c. + organic almond milk, unsweetened

Optional: daily fish oil serving and daily probiotics serving. *I take liquid fish oil and powdered probiotics, recommended by my naturopath. I LOVE that I can just throw these in my smoothie now.

Put all of the above in the blender and blend until smooth, adding more almond milk (and shaking the heck out of your blender) as needed. We don't have a fancy blender (yet).

I think it's the flax oil and the almond milk that make this smoothie so rich. It's not too sweet/fruity, but, in my opinion, it doesn't taste too green either. Yum! Plus, you're getting a great serving of superfood kale, healthy oils, seeds and antioxidants from the berries. Mmmm. I've had this at least 5 times over the last week and a half. They keep me from eating that (second) bagel or bowl of cereal.

Bonus: Sienna loves mangos now! You can see her here mastering the art of the mesh feeder. We're still learning how not to paint the table top with it (why we switched from blueberries to mango).



I hope you enjoy one of these as much as I do! You can add in any powdered vitamins/supplements you may take. Some days I will add some hemp protein or other powdered protein. Wow. I sound way more healthy than I probably am, but this is a start, no?

3 comments:

  1. Yum! Sounds great Laura. Yes, I've been practicing to find the right balance . i've used coconut milk and a couple of dollops of greek yogurt to give some richness and extra protein to fill me up. Haven't tried chia seeds. Do you just pour them in?? I m a little nervous of how they work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea to add some Greek yogurt. I will have to try it! Yes, just dump in the chia seeds. I buy them ground (store in the fridge). You can use them to make quick fridge jams or pudding (I had great luck with the jam, not so much the pudding), but they have health benefits without having to let them 'set' first. They will add thickness if you do let them sit around a bit.

      Delete